Is it possible to freeze horns
If your baby does not have enough milk or you need to leave, you can leave expressed milk - your own or donor's milk.
How can I decontaminate expressed breast milk?
Milk pasteurized on a water bath. Bottles with milk are placed in a pan, the water level in which should be above the milk level in the bottles. After boiling the water in a saucepan, the milk is kept in it for another 5-7 minutes. Thus, milk can be treated, however, with some loss of its beneficial properties. This pasteurization means maintaining a controlled temperature of 65 ° C for 30 minutes. At home, this is difficult, but possible.
Expressed unpasteurized milk canstored in the refrigerator for 12 hours. Some experts believe that if hygienic requirements are met during collection, expressed milk can be stored in the refrigerator for 5-7 days at a temperature of + 4 ° C. Milk can be harvested, observing certain rules. When decanting, remember to keep the hands clean and sterile dishes, in which you will collect milk.
Can I store breast milk in the freezer?
Breast milk can be stored frozen.
- You can freeze milk in the feeding horns. For these purposes, several horns of a small volume (120-140 ml) will be needed. In one horn, you can prepare a portion for approximately one feeding, and you do not have to pour out a lot of milk if the child does not suck everything.
- Pouring milk from a sterile container forpumping into the horn or pumping directly into the storage container, do not forget to leave a free space - milk, like most water-based fluids, expands when frozen.
- Before freezing, place the milk in the refrigerator for cooling.
Can I add a new portion of milk to the horn if it is not full?
During the day you can add smallportions to stored expressed or already frozen milk. Remember the hygiene requirements! Before adding fresh expressed milk, it must be cooled in the refrigerator and only then poured to the frozen. That the frozen milk did not melt away, the volume of the new portion should be less than what is already in the bottle.
- Frozen milk in a closed container can be stored in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- When frozen to -20 ° C, milk can be stored for 12 months.
- After thawing, milk can be stored in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
How do I unfreeze milk?
If you need to leave in the morning, you can move the bottle of milk from the freezer to the refrigerator for the night. Defrosting will take about 12 hours. Before consumption, milk is required to be heated.
For rapid defrosting, you can place the milk in a container with warm by water or by spray warm water. Hot water can not be used, as this will result in the loss of useful immunological properties of milk.
Breast milk can not be heated in a microwave oven, as this will necessarily lead to the loss of a number of its valuable qualities.
Like all milk, breast milk contains fats. It's the cream that you see on the surface. Carefully shake a bottle of milk, so that the fat is evenly distributed in it. Looking at the volume of milk and cream, you can roughly determine fat content of milk.
Can I store thawed milk and freeze it again?
Never freeze thawed milk! Remember that you are storing and storing milk so that in your absence the child is provided with a valuable product. And if you try to keep the thawed milk again, it will lose all useful properties.
During storage between thawing andconsumption increases the risk of infection of milk. For the same reason, never store the milk left in the bottle after feeding. It must be poured out. In order not to regret it, prepare portions of the appropriate volume, as indicated above.