Is it possible to freeze the mirror icing on the cake
Mirror glaze for cakes is an amazingfinishing coat, which in the correct performance can be the only decor of the product, which in this case does not lose in external effectiveness. But, despite the fact that much has been written and said, the mirror glaze for cakes is still a real stumbling block for many confectioners-lovers.
In this article, we will compile the most commonerrors that can be tolerated in the work with mirror glaze. Just find out how to avoid them, and even fix it. If you need a recipe for a colored mirror glaze, you can see it here.
Mirror glaze for cakes covered the product with a very thin layer, the sides are visible.
- syrup (glucose + sugar + water) is undercooked, namely: the syrup was not brought to the necessary t °, therefore it turned out to be too liquid;
- the working t ° glaze is not adhered to the coating, namely: t ° was higher, the glaze when coating the glass earlier than followed;
- incorrectly dissolved powdered gelatin or not squeezed out sheet, thereby letting in excess liquid, which later made the finished glaze liquefied;
- the product to be coated is not frozen, or not completely frozen.
- cook the syrup syrup to t ° given in the recipe (for different glaze recipe t ° differs), when the sugar has completely dissolved and the syrup is of the correct consistency;
- to withstand the working t ° of the finished glaze, using an accurate instrument (it is better to use a pyrometer, but you can use an accurate thermometer with a probe);
- correctly measure the working t °, namely: before it is measured, the mirror glaze must be gently mixed with a spoon and immerse / hold the instrument probe in the middle of the mixture;
- how to properly work with gelatin, I wrote in detail in the first article.
- on the coated product to obtain the ideal coatingit will not work any more. Alternatively, it is possible to disguise lumens on the sides with decor (sugar powder, chocolate chips, meringue, nuts, berries or make curb-chocolate bars, for example);
Mirror coating for cakes covered the product with too thick a layer, fell into lumps, not completely "closed" the sides.
- syrup (glucose + sugar + water) was digested, namely: the syrup was cooked longer than required, therefore it turned out to be too thick;
- the working t ° glaze on the coating was not sustained, namely: the glaze was colder, so it seized earlier, before it had time to spread over the surface of the product.
In the mirror glaze, air bubbles formed during the preparation, which remain on the surface of the glazed article when coated.
- too "violent" stirring during preparation;
- improper use of the blender.
- in the process of preparation, if necessary, mix very gently;
- when immersing the blender, before turning it on, it is necessary to gently chat with them, so that excess air is released;
- when piercing the glaze with a blender, keep it at an angle to form a funnel that will "suck in" air bubbles into itself;
- when you remove the icing from the refrigerator, before coating, remove the top foam, if it is, with a regular spoon.
- on the glazed surface can not be fixed, except that masking the decor (see how to correct error number 1)
- Bubbles can be removed from the finished glaze only if they are not too much, passing it through a sieve with very small cells (can be several times in a row);
- if the bubbles are not too deep, then you can hit the vessel several times with the icing on the surface of the table, and then remove the bubbles with an ordinary spoon;
Remember! If you put a lot of air bubbles in the mirror glaze, then they can not be completely corrected and when they cover the cake they will necessarily spoil the appearance.
Mirror coating for cakes after coating was deformed on the product during storage.
- the formation of condensate on the surface of the glaze-covered product;
- remove the product (cake, cake) from the freezer just before the coating, when the glaze is already working t °, the working table and all the necessary tools are prepared;
- Before coating, wipe the entire surface of the frozen product with a dry, clean and warm palm;
- Do not expose the finished product to extreme temperature changes.
- unfortunately, the deformation of the mirror coating can not be corrected any more. There is only the option with a masked decor.
for a perfectly flat surface of a frozen product
- to freeze the cake "into stone" in the most empty refrigerating chamber, placing it on a flat surface, for example, a cutting board;
- gently remove the cake from the mold where it was frozen;
- use high-quality silicone molds, which greatly facilitates the work;
- when freezing the product in metal rings, it is necessary to lay the sides with acetate film.
In this article, I collected the most common errors in the work with mirror glaze, so that, with the necessary knowledge, you could get the perfect result even from the first time!
Also, be sure to read my article on the correct choice of ingredients for any recipe for mirror glaze and you will get it all!
If you still have questions or have other problems with mirror glaze, then you can ask in the comments. I will definitely try to help you!