How long can I store frozen meat in the freezer
Meat and meat products belong to the categoryperishable, but sometimes there is a need to stock them for future use. With the existing refrigerator for its safety, you do not have to worry. However, with improper storage, the taste and nutritional properties of meat can be severely affected, as is its structure. Therefore, it is necessary to store meat and meat products in a refrigerator or freezer in compliance with certain rules.
The shelf life of meat products depends on the conditions in which they are stored. These include:
According to SanPiN, meat in the freezer can be stored at -12 to -18 degrees Celsius for the following periods:
- lamb - 1 year;
- pork - 8 months;
- beef - 1 year;
- chicken - 1 year;
- goose, duck, rabbit, turkey - six months.
If these terms are exceeded, the products get an unpleasant smell and lose their taste qualities.
Meat must be thawed only once.
Raw beef or pork can be stored refrigerated for two days at a temperature of 0 to -3 degrees Celsius. If the temperature is above 0 degrees, they will lie in the refrigerator for not more than a day.
The whole chicken or rabbit will remain fresh without frost for two days, and cut into pieces - within 24 hours.
The rules of storage in the refrigerator:
- 1. If a piece is wrapped in a film or a package, they need to be removed, otherwise it bans and gets an unpleasant smell.
- 2. The container must be glass or plastic, it must be covered with a lid, leaving a small gap. Through it, the product will "breathe".
Meat products should be stored on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator, and next to them should not be any dishes.
To freeze fresh meat, you must follow a few simple rules:
- 1. To keep the product better preserved, the bone should be removed.
- 2. Chopped pieces should be wiped with a napkin to remove excess moisture. Wash the pieces categorically.
- 3. In order for the cut pieces to be stored longer, you need to wrap them in food film or foil. Before filling in the freezer from the package, you must release all air.
- 4. In order to quickly find the desired piece, they can be signed. Specify the species (beef, pork, game) and the date of freezing.
Defrost frozen food can only bein a natural way, without the use of a microwave oven and water - just get a piece from the freezer and put it overnight in the fridge. In the morning it will be ready for use.
Semi-finished and ready-made meals spoil much faster than fresh products. Therefore, they can be kept in the refrigerator much less:
- Pure forcemeat without any additives is available incooled form all day. If you add onions or other additives to the prepared meat, store it at a temperature of +2 - +4 is not recommended for more than 4-5 hours. In the freezer, minced meat can be stored for 3-4 months provided that it is carefully packed into food film.
- In boiled form. Boiled billets can lie quietly under the freezer for three days. Before laying them, you need to remove them from the broth and drain excess liquid. Then put it in a container and cover it to avoid airing. Freezing boiled meat is not recommended, since after defrosting the taste will deteriorate.
- In marinated form. Marinated semi-finished product retains its properties for about 7 days, provided that there is no onion in the marinade. It is not recommended to put it in the freezer.
- In a vacuum. Vacuum packaging allows you to extend the shelf life of semi-finished products several times. In the cooled form, the meat in vacuum packing can be stored for up to 6 days. In the freezer it can be up to a year and a half.
From the correct freezing of products depends the taste qualities of the prepared dishes. Therefore, you should try to observe all the rules of storage and freezing of meat products.